The closer I get to goal, the more I realize how much the stupid BMI calculator is!
Originally when I met with my surgeon he asked what I wanted my goal to be. And, well I've been over weight for most of my life. So I didn't have an exact number. I just wanted to weigh less than I did. Much, much less. But, my number one goal was to be able to be a Stem cell donor. I originally read that I had to have a healthy BMI. So when I mentioned that to my surgeon he said ok.. then 150 it is!
Now, that I've researched more I've learned that even right now with my actual BMI being read as "overweight" I am still within the weight requirements to become a donor. And, I plan to do it after my one year anniversary of my sleeve.
But, each time I lose weight I enter it in on the app on my phone called Simple Weight Calculator. It also shows me my BMI and it always makes me think.
Even at my end goal of 150 I will be considered over weight. I'm only 5'5. In order to be considered "healthy" I need to be 147.
Well, you know what?!
I'm a LOT healthier now at 175 pounds then I was at 317. I don't require high blood pressure medicine. I can walk up stairs... or far distances without feeling winded. I can run. I can do things I don't think I've ever been able to do.
So in my book I AM HEALTHY!
I'm no longer going to let the BMI calculator dictate to me what my GOAL needs to be.
I have learned to not go according to that stupid BMI calculator honestly. Cuz for me being 5'1 I should weigh between 100-120 lbs. Um I will never be that, that is too small for my taste, My body isn't built to weigh that little, Im thicker built, muscular built so for me being in the 140's would make me happy. I am 154 right now. You have to find where you are comfortable and if your doctors are happy as well then who cares about a stupid chart? I totally agree I am so much more healthier at 154 vs the 270 lbs I was 16 months ago. Even if I stayed at this weight the rest of my life I would be happy! Great job on your progress!
ReplyDeleteLoved this post!!!!!! You know your body, go by your goal and how YOU feel. It's your life, right? Best wishes.
ReplyDeleteAmen sista! I literally just updated my ticker after speaking with my surgeon today...I won't have a "healthy" BMI, but my new goal is going to be a better fit for me. Of course I will blog all about it soon, I have a big one year blog post that I'm working on.
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the encouraging words guys.
ReplyDeleteYes, at this point I know my body. So I'm going to continue to rock it out like I have been these last almost 10 months and go from there. :)
I'd be content at where I am now... I've come a LONG way in a short amount of time.
Whoohooo Sheila. I can't wait to read. :)
congratulations on your amazing progress sleeve sister! You are doing great!! Hope to see you on Fitbit soon.
ReplyDeleteYou are doing awesome, don't let "numbers" get you down. Look how far you have come! I do the same thing sometimes, but truth is, how you feel is way more important of an indicator than what BMI says you should be.
ReplyDelete