Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Support Group....

On the second Tuesday of the month, the hospital I had my surgery at offers a Weight Loss Surgery support group. I have been to everyone since the month I had my surgery, except for one that was cancelled due to the weather. Apparently, research has shown that people who frequently attend these meetings lose more weight, and keep it off. Which I could TOTALLY agree with. It serves as a way to motivate to eat better, and work out more. People expect you to lose weight at these meetings so it gives you a kick in the butt that you may need!

Each month they have a new topic. Last month we met with a representative of WLS vitamins and other goodies for Bariatric patients. We played a round of Bingo and the winner won a prize. January's meeting was cancelled due to the snow. And, December was a meet and greet kind of thing because of the holiday! Yesterday's topic was PLASTIC SURGERY!

Anyway, I know a lot of people want plastic surgery after massive weight loss because they want to look and feel their best. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. Up until yesterday I didn't really have many thoughts if I was interested in pursing plastics in the future. To be honest, I still don't really know for sure just yet. But, I still have 15 more months before my surgeon will even approve of it.... and I need to reach my goal weight. So needless to say I still have TONS of time to decide and research. However, I am a little weirded out by the whole thing. The plastic surgeon who came brought a slideshow of pictures... and answered a lot of questions. He was helpful. But, at the same time I just don't know. A lot of the people had rather large scars. And, with massive weight loss you don't just lose it all in one area you lose it all over. So that would mean that basically you have lots of scars on your body. I had this surgery for HEALTH reasons... now for COSMETIC reasons so by no means am I planning to trot around in a bikini any time soon. But, at the same time I want to enjoy smaller clothes without feeling awkward. And, do I REALLY want to have a bunch of huge scars hanging out? Probably not. At the moment my thoughts are like this... I feel like I would look like Humpty Dumpty was put back together again. Maybe after I lose all the weight I want to, and see what my body looks like I'll change my mind. But, for now I'm a little creeped out. Honestly, the only surgery I'm really thinking about would be the one to cut out the arm fat. I hate my arms. Right now I feel like I lost ALL my weight in my arms. I know I haven't... but they look BAD! But, the scars are BAD.... ugly... Just down RIDICULOUS. IS it a good enough trade off to lose the fat and gain the scars? I don't know! I simply went yesterday to see everyone!!

I still have a little less than 100 pounds to lose before reaching goal. So I plan to work my body to see how it heals itself. I don't expect miracles. But, maybe things will work out for me. Who knows! I go to the gym 4-5 times a week... so that could work in my favor. Plus I've never lost-regained and lost again! I'm also young!

No comments:

Post a Comment