
My end goal of WLS is to become a stem cell donor.
My reasoning behind this goal is simple:
In 2008 my husband was diagnosed with a RARE form of Cancer. To be specific it is called NK-T Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. It originally started in his nose, then spread to his jaw, and a spot was found in his chest. We tried two different Chemo regiments and some radiation but the doctors felt a stem cell transplant was his best option. They began to search the registry for compatible donors... and actually found three perfect matches. In January of 2009 he had his Stem Cell Transplant, and almost a year later we found out his Cancer was GONE!
The person who donated for Phil was an anonymous stranger. We know little about him. But, we hope to one day be able to reach out and say thank you. Ultimately this stranger saved my husbands life. And, I am forever thankful. There's just no words, or anything that could EVER measure up to the gift he has given our family..
I want to be able to help another family that unfortunately has to be in the same situation as us. It's a horrible place to be, and even though it's been three years, and one year in remission it's a VERY sensitive subject for me.. (As I cry typing this!!)
I started to research it the other day and found out that I am currently within the weight range to become a donor. I also read up to see what other restrictions they have. :)
While I have at least a year before I can actually make any movement towards this goal, I'm happy that it's actually reachable.
I want to get my body re-adjusted so that I am in the BEST health I can be. And, also reach my weight goal because they look at body size when determining a donor. And, since I'm constantly changing it would be better to wait!
:)
No comments:
Post a Comment