Monday, February 7, 2011

Heavy....

There's a new show on A & E called Heavy. Each episode they take two morbidly obese people and follow them on a six month weight loss journey. For the first month they stay on a campus where they're given trainers and dietitians.As well as a therapist. After that, they go home with the hopes that they will take what they learned while on campus and continue their journey. While home if they feel they are not being as successful as they can be, they're given the opportunity to return to the campus to help "re-boost" what they learned.

I'm currently laying in bed watching my third episode. I must say each time I'm amazed with the people they chose to highlight. The first episode I really liked because I felt like the two people the brought onto the campus at the same time really bonded. It was really sweet. They formed a lifelong friendship and a commitment to each other to help the other achieve only great things.

But, tonight's episode makes me want to cry.
There's a lady on there who gained 100 pounds after the loss of her mom. And, then gained 60 after her son chose to take his own life. :( It was so very heartbreaking. During her consult the doctor didn't really seem to believe in her. Saying she was too emotional to succeed. While I do believe she was very emotional... I also see that she was going through something traumatic. She lost her son, that is just completely heart breaking. A parent should never have to bury their own child. :( I fought back tears so many times. But, during a visit to talk to a therapist she talked about how her son Landon just wanted her to be healthy. Her therapists response was AMAZING! He said how great of a way it would be to honor her son. This sparked something in her. She worked so hard. Even when she was SO afraid of doing bad and not honoring her son like she wanted.

While I'm currently in a weight loss journey of my own, I know how hard it is to be motivated, to eat right.... to SUCCEED. I wish the best for this lady. It's truly heart breaking to watch.

If you can catch this on the tv, I highly suggest you watch it. It's incredible.


If you can't watch it, here's the link to do it online:

1 comment:

  1. That episode was great! I agree, she was very emotional, but wow, she had endured so much. And she was so incredibly tickled with her weight loss (deservedly so!) you just have to believe she's on the path to keeping it off. I certainly hope so! Both those women were very likable. The other girl had such a horrible time with the wicked stepmother, etc.

    ReplyDelete