Sunday, August 19, 2012

Fasting... strange feelings.... ramblings! Oh my!

I know I haven't been around much and so I don't think I've mentioned it. But, in April my husband and I joined a church. We had been wanting to for a REALLY long time but without a car that's hard. So once we got a car... a friend recommended this church she found and we went! IT's a GREAT place I feel so comfortable there... and we've became so involved already! I just LOVE my church family. That says a lot because I do not have a background of ANY type of organized religion so it's HUGE!

Two weeks ago, the pastor told the church he felt called to do a fast. And, asked the congregation to join in with them if they felt led. Since I have NO knowledge on religion or fasts I went home and did some research. 

I've been wanting my husband to eat healthier for so long.. .even more so now that I'm trying to be better with it myself. But, it's hard. I can only WANT something so much for him. He has to WANT it for himself and follow through. As I've mentioned a bunch of times he has a lot of health issues so he has to get this under control. Like most people he LOVES soda. And, I've struggled with this. I don't want it to come across as me forcing him to give it up because I did. But, after some soul searching I realized that's not AT ALL what this is about. I could careless if someone wants to drink soda. I no longer crave it or need it to function but maybe the next person does. However, my husband drinks it in crazy amounts... we heard that it leeches the calcium out of your bones. That fact creeped me out. Thats the last thing we really need for him as he already has HOLES in his bones left from Cancer treatments. 

So after my research I really felt like this fast was JUST the kick in the butt we needed to get started. I asked Phil how he felt and he agreed it would be a good idea. He was nervous about me doing it but I reached out and asked other Christian sleeve patients on forums their experiences and I felt confident that I could handle this.

We started last Monday. And, so far so good. There's definitely been some really hard times but we DID IT!

The fast includes lots of fruits, lots of vegetables, no dairy, no meat, no sugar.. and a lot of restrictions. It's extremely strict but at this point I think it's really what we needed to get motivated.

Only weird part is that I have NOT felt hungry since my surgery. I mean if I go all day without eating, I'll hear the grumbles but I don't get this ravishing feeling that I used to get. Sometimes I need to REMIND myself to eat. However, on day two I woke up and while I wouldn't say I was hungry... I will say that I woke up KNOWING my stomach was EMPTY. That I had to get up and eat that very moment if I EVER wanted to go back to bed!

Tomorrow marks a week we've been doing this fast. And, while I'm still super tired I do still think this was a great move. It's amazing watching what your body does when you put APPROPRIATE fuel into it. 

Yes, I am craving sugar. I'm craving some meat... some fried foods... BUT! I've been so good with following the guidelines! I've shocked myself!

I haven't lost weight in a few months. A lot of that is because I haven't made the right choices... felt comfortable with my weight... But, I've finally started losing again. I am back down to 158. 

WOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment