Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Rant...

Ok, so here lately I have been running into more people I haven't seen in a while. A good majority of the time they start the conversation with saying how great I look, and complimenting me on my success. Then, it has almost always turned into something like this:



Them: do you want to lose more weight? Or, are you at goal yet?
Me: no, I want to lose about 30 more to meet my surgeons goal. 
Them: you don't look like you have that much left to lose. 
Me: I do, if I lose this 30 pounds I will be 150 pounds and have a healthy BMI of 25. 
Them: if you lose that you're going to disappear.



Ok. So, it seems nice I suppose. But, its starting to pluck my nerves. I have sat down with my surgeon numerous times and discussed my goal weight. I have never been skinny so i do not know what 150 pounds will look like on me. However, I do know that I know myself well enough that if I get closer to goal and realize I am looking too skinny I will alter my goal.
And, to clear another thing up... I am eating. And, I do eat often. I am not super strict with my food or am I insane about my work out routine. This surgery has shown me one thing.. this is a lifestyle change. NOT a diet. So I am doing everything I can to be realistic as possible. I get offended when people ask "do you eat" obviously I do. However, I am in control now over food. Eating isn't a past time or a hobby anymore. Its to provide my body with the nutrition and fuel it needs to thrive.

Sorry if this post seems a little more negative than usual. But, its starting to get to me.

3 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny in our society where it is acceptable to comment on how skinny a person is to their face, but yet I never had people tell me (to my face anyway) "oh my god you look morbidly obese to me, what are you going to do about it?" like where were all the comments when I had a BMI of over 44? Not that when I was MO I wanted to hear people's opinions of me...because hey it's not like I don't own a mirror. But I do find it interesting that people are willing to comment on when they *think* you are too skinny. Such an odd world we live it. The best comback I have heard for this type of comment is, "if you saw wme walking down the street for the first time in your life, would you think I was too skinny?" Probably not, I think it's just because some people knew us back when we were MO and it's hard to reconcile the images in their heads. That or they are just jealous of your success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get that all the time when people ask if I want to lose anymore they tell me I am going to blow away if I keep going. It's like for real?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's just so strange to hear. And, in the past week I have heard it ENTIRELY too much. I know it's because they seen me at my biggest... so they're not used to me being smaller.. but, FOR REAL!

    ReplyDelete