One of the hardest thing about having WLS is knowing when I'm full. I'm slowly learning though.
I've noticed I get a few hiccups before I'm at the point of being overfull!
However, tonight I felt what it feels like to be STUFFED to the limit. Not cool.
I'm scheduled to start "mushies" on Monday. I will be two weeks pre op then. But, I've noticed I can't really eat that often because I'm constantly thirsty. It makes it hard to eat liquids after drinking all day. So today I wanted to try something. I tried some scrambled eggs. I measured it out for what it required. And, then I even chopped the eggs up after they cooked. I couldn't even eat the serving size of 1/4 cup. I let the dogs finish them. But, I did really good. I felt full and it lasted.
I went out with a friend today. And, she was STARVING. So we stopped at Chick Fila. Well, I made the choice to try chicken salad. I didn't get bread, and I chopped the salad up before eating it. It was good, I got it down great.
But, I "thought" I was hungry when I get home after running errands. So I had 3 more bites. After the third bite I was so thirsty. So I was bad and took a drink of water.
Bad idea. Two reasons. One because you shouldn't drink 30 minutes before or after surgery. And, two because I learned how it feels to be OVER STUFFED.
I felt it in my stomach. I knew I was going to get sick when I took that last sip. I tried burping. NOTHING. Then I threw up that cold water. Not a good feeling. Once I threw up a few tiny times I felt better. But, I hope I don't have that happen again =(
Thanks for this post! Sorry you had to experience it the hard way. :( It is very helpful to me, though, as I'll remember it after my own surgery in a couple weeks! I've heard people at the weight loss surgery support group talk about getting hiccupy when they're full, too. I'm enjoying reading your blog!
ReplyDeleteOoooh, I've only done that twice (gotten overfull) and you are right it is not a fun feeling. Thankfully I didn't throw up (since I hate to do that) and after about 30 minutes each time I felt better. Certainly not something I want to do again. Hang in there, this is such a totally different way of eating than we are used to!
ReplyDeleteIt happened two times before where I just felt overfull. And, like you said in about 30 minutes I was feeling better. This time I was stupid and drank a drink of my water. And, THAT'S what took me overboard. It's REALLY hard for me to not drink in the 30 minute window. I get SO SO thirsty.
ReplyDelete