Sunday, February 27, 2011

Social Events

I have noticed as I lose more weight I am becoming more and more social. I have more of a desire to go out and enjoy life. But with my recent surgery there ARE strict rules to follow. And, while I absolutely LOVE talking about my surgery to others... I also feel awkward explaining all my rules!

I've been meaning to write about this topic for awhile. But, then last night happened. And, I really realized how awkward it can be!

The first thing I noticed is that it's hard to hang out with people when food is the main focus. For obvious reasons this doesn't work for me. Not that I mind when it happens. I enjoy any time I can have with my friends... it will just take some getting used to. But, two weeks ago at work we had a staff development. The first part was pot luck lunch. During this time most people eat, and chat.. blah blah blah all that good stuff. Well, I was able to eat a small amount of taco dip and I was satisfied. It wasn't too bad in this setting because my co-workers all know about my surgery and they know how much I can eat. But, the awkward part was deciding what to bring. I kept debating back and forth. Do I bring something I can eat? Especially since everyone else will have more than enough food. Or do I bring something the other people can eat so I don't feel greedy, and because I'm obviously not going to be able to finish a complete dish by myself. Anyway, after much debate I brought something for everyone else. Not a big issue after all. But, I learned for next time that I should prepare myself with some "sleeve" friendly recipes that won't be completely boring for someone without a sleeve. That's still a work in progress! (IF ANY OF YOU SLEEVERS HAVE SOME SUGGESTIONS, LET ME HEAR THEM>

Next situation, going out to eat. Hub and I went out to eat a few weekends ago for the first time post op! (I will have a blog on that eventually, I'm a bit behind lately!) And I spent so much time looking at the menu. Trying to chose the best thing... It's hard.... tests you... and can be annoying.

Then, yesterday I went out to a party for a friends birthday. Thankfully it wasn't anything big. It was just at her friends house... and, in the beginning I was a little overwhelmed. I had so many thoughts going on in my head. Such as: Do I assume they won't have water bottles? Should I bring my own drink? If someone asks why I'm not drinking, what will I say?! This was also the first time I've been to a party like this since surgery. It's all a new experience so I think I tend to over think things a bit. But, whatever. That's me... and I've learned to deal. Anyway! I decided to bring a bottle of water in my purse. And, some flavor packets and grab a cup of ice to take with me! I learned it's always good to be prepared. There was mostly all alcohol involved. So in that instance I could of easily been left without any sleeve friendly choices. I had a really good time... and I'm glad that I can be so open about my surgery because they did play a drinking game... and, a few people asked why I wasn't playing.. so I had to explain how my banana belly simply won't allow me.. even with water. Drinking that much would make me sick. It was a really positive experience. Some asked questions about my surgery, and gave me a lot of compliments. And, I'm thankful for the understanding. But, once again being prepared is going to be the KEY in this journey.

I enjoy being more social. I enjoy going out and having fun. Not only do I get to have more fun. I get to feel more confident. I'm thankful :)


No comments:

Post a Comment