Thursday, July 22, 2010

Weight...

For as long as I can remember I have been over weight. Well, with the exception of when I was born, but that doesn't really count. Now that I'm an adult I've tried on my own to lose weight, but it's only worked temporarily. I am 23 years old. I have already been diagnosed with high blood pressure. And, I am so afraid of being diagnosed with Diabetes. Especially with my family history of it. Great grandmother had it when she was alive. Mom was diagnosed recently and grandmother was classified as borderline.

In February my mom had Lap Band surgery. She has lot 35 pounds so far, and has already lowered her blood pressure. I'm starting to think maybe this is an option for me.

So I have begun to take this into my own hands. I've contacted my insurance company.
And, so far I have found out a few things.

First, if it's deemed medically necessary, and I find a surgeon in network it will be covered 90 percent. I knew this since my mom and I both work for the same company, and have the same insurance. But, it was totally different to hear those words myself coming from the insurance person.

Next, I found out that the Transitions program I did around Christmas time could be used as documented proof that I tried for six months. I figured it would work since I was weighed in every few weeks, my inches were documents and, I even kept a food diary. I have requested my weigh in sheet from the lady who ran the program, and am currently waiting for it! Now, I just have to get my journal together to fax it on over to the insurance company.

Then, I found out the doctor I found WAS after all IN network. He did NOT show up on the original document I seen. But, when I searched his name he did show up. To double check, I also asked the insurance person! YES! YES And YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

I've been pretty busy since making up my mind about this surgery.

I've already met with my primary care doctor. I let him know of my intentions for this surgery, and talked to him briefly. He wrote me a letter of necessity including my family history of Diabetes, my diagnosis of Depression AND lastly, the high blood pressure. Oh, and don't forget the fact that I'm 5'5 and fall in the category of Morbidly Obese :( Boy, I know I'm fat. But, come on. That's a REAL wake up call seeing that on my chart!

I talked to my husband, He seems to approve. He wants a healthy wife. I think at this point he's concerned that I'll lose BOOB! MEN I TELL YA!

I've talked to my mom about the surgery. She thinks that since I'm young it's a good time to do it! I've talked to my dad and his girlfriend. They support me, and will be attending the seminar with me!

Speaking of the seminar! It's booked for August 5th! YAY! I'm also attending an online one tomorrow! Knowledge is power, and I'd rather know too much about Lapband.. then too little!

I'm starting to get excited! I hope the approval process goes quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment